Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day #17, 18, and 19: I think I love Louisiana

So, I'm not lying. I really think I might love Louisiana. Although, this week sucked work wise, I made it a point to actually emerse myself in Louisiana as much as I could-and I think I love it.

First of all, let me apologize, the internet at the hotel was terrible and I tried to blog, I really did, but it was taking forever, so I gave up. So tonight is going to be a 3-in-1 deal:)

Day #17 (Tuesday) was actually the worst of the week. It rained all day and Sadie and I sat in the this room for 11 hours straight:

Yep, pretty awesome, huh? There are some Mardi Gras decorations to try and liven it up a bit;)

Day #18 (Wednesday) was MUCH better. The sun was out. It was 65 degrees. And we got to go out for lunch. Sometimes leaving in the middle of the day just makes the day so much better. A group of 6 of us had to get out before we threw our computers out the window, so we walked to this awesome diner down the street. Now, I love me some diner food and this place was amazing. It happened to be next door to this awesome art gallery: http://www.georgerodrigue.com/rodrigue/index2.htm . You might notice the theme: blue dogs; the restaurant I went to last week is based off of George Rodrigue's art, hence the name Blue Dog Cafe. And I think I could have spent hours in this gallery, which is a LOT for me considering I can't spent 20 minutes in the Nelson-Atkins, but this art drew me in. Here are two of my favorites:


The red one was HUGE. I hope to one day have a wall big enough to put a painting this large one. The second was my natural favorite. I'm a sucker for anything showing American pride:) The very nice man running the gallery told me that this painting was painted to raise money after 9/11 and sold out in 3 weeks. The artist donated all proceeds to the Red Cross (1.2 million dollars). I was sold. One day, I want to buy one of these paintings, but I think I need to make a little bit more money first:)

Day #19 (Thursday) was food day! So they have this traditional cake called King Cake in Louisiana, I think they have it other places too, but this was the first I've heard of it. It is a traditional cake that is made from the Epiphany (January 6th) through Fat Tuesday. And there is a little plastic baby hidden in the cake. The tradition states that the baby represents the baby Jesus and who ever gets that piece has good luck. Now, whoever gets the baby has to buy the next King cake. You can read up on King Cake here:) Let me tell you how good this cake was. I think ate an entire months intake of sugar in one piece, and it was worth it.

So on my trip, I also ate alligator, corn and crab bisque, crab-stuffed gulf shrimp, and had some local strawberry beer. Seriously, I would move to Louisiana just for the food. Who wants to go to New Orleans with me???

On a side note: I flew to Atlanta this weekend to spend time with my family and go to my best friend's baby shower:) Get ready for a lot of pictures;) Till next time...XoXo

No comments:

Post a Comment